Other Historic Structures
The original lighthouse complex included a keeper’s house. The keepers house was completely refurbished, moved and currently house businesses at the Harbour Town Marina located in Sea Pines on Hilton Head Island.
Today, only the rear range lighthouse survives, along with a brick oil house and a water cistern all located in Palmetto Dunes Resort.
The brick oil house, measuring nine by eleven feet and capable of storing 450 five-gallon cans, was built near the lighthouse in 1892.
The water cistern, made of stone, was designed to act as a water reservoir, holding the water until it was needed. this tank is made of brick and holds up to 3,500 gallons of water.
Sheltered by towering pine trees and one of Hilton Head Island's oldest oak trees, the main lighthouse structure includes a central cylindrical stair tower, a wooden watch room and a cypress lantern room. Lighthouse Keepers would climb 112 steps to reach the hexagonal wooden Watch Room.
Click to view larger.