The Rear Range Lighthouse is one of only a handful of skeletal towers still in existence in America. The main lighthouse structure, which is now inactive, includes a central cylindrical stair tower, a wooden watch room and a cypress lantern room.

Greenwood Communities and Resorts originally restored the structure in 1985 when it opened the lighthouse to the public. And a decorative sodium vapor optic was installed. You can view photos here of the lighthouse prior to this very extensive restoration.  


Recently, in September 2019, the Hilton Head Rear Range Lighthouse underwent a very extensive renovation. This included:

  • the addition of a new cedar shingle roof, which was stained

  • replacement of 360-degree observation deck boards and structural wood areas

  • cleaning and treating of interior and cleaning of exterior

  • the structure was painted with an oil-based, marine-grade paint

  • the windows and doors were replaced and painted in a “Charleston Green”

  • overgrown foliage around the lighthouse was removed, and more.

Click to view larger.

53 Leamington Lane, Hilton Head Island, SC 29928
843-785-1106 |

© 2020 by Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort & Greenwood Communities & Resorts.

Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort